Giraffe CVs is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
This policy sets out how Giraffe CVs collect, store, use, share, retain, and destroy your personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection laws and regulations, including principles of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Giraffe CVs is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
About Giraffe CVs
Giraffe CVs is a professional CV writing service which serves clients by providing high-quality CVs, cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, and related advice.
Our registered address is 5A School Lane, Maidstone, Kent ME15 8DU.
Review of this policy
What is Giraffe CVs’ lawful basis for processing your personal information?
Giraffe CVs’ lawful basis for processing your personal data is ‘Contract’: processing your data is necessary to deliver our services.
As set out by Article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR: “processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract”.
Giraffe CVs will therefore process your personal data in order to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, or because you have asked us to do something before entering into a contract (e.g. to provide a quote or details of our services, for example).
How do we collect information from you?
Giraffe CVs collect personal information about you when:
- you make an enquiry or order via our website (giraffecvs.co.uk)
- when you share personal information or documents containing personal information with us via email, post, social media, or telephone
- when you share personal information with us via a face-to-face or Skype meeting
- we gather publically available data sourced online (e.g. from LinkedIn profiles, press releases, news articles, presentations, company websites)
- if your parent or guardian sends information on your behalf (if you are 16 or under).
What types of personal information does Giraffe CVs collect?
The personal information we collect about you may include:
- Name and contact details: name; address/location; telephone numbers; email address; Skype ID; details of social media profiles (e.g. LinkedIn, online portfolios),
- Career details: Career history; skills and qualities; education; qualifications; references; past achievements; and future aspirations as found in completed questionnaires; CVs; cover letters; personal statements; personal bios; application forms; LinkedIn profiles and personal websites; supporting files; references; and educational certificates.
- Order details: date; time; details; value; and status of your order.
- Use of our website: IP address; information regarding what pages are accessed and when.
How does Giraffe CVs use your personal information?
By providing personal data to us, you are consenting to Giraffe CVs using your data to:
- Provide requested product or service information in response to your enquiries
- Process orders that you have submitted
- Provide our products or services
- Seek your views or comments on the products and services we provide
- Notify you of any changes to our products or services
- Develop and improve our products or services
- Communicate with you about other relevant products or services
- Track and analyse user trends
- Monitor the security of our products or services
We will not:
- lease or sell your personal information to third parties
- spam you
- share your personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes, unless you have permitted us to do so, or we are required to do so by law
Who has access to your personal information?
Under certain conditions, we may disclose your personal information to others as follows:
Third party service providers working on our behalf: We may pass your information to carefully chosen third party service providers for the purposes of completing your order, for providing our services to you, and for running our business.
Other: We would share personal data in response to a legal or government request e.g. a court order or to investigate or prevent fraud or another crime.
Security of information transmitted over the internet cannot be assured, therefore we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us; you do so at your own risk.
Whilst we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration to data will not occur, Giraffe CVs take steps to guard against unauthorised access, misuse, alternation, or loss of your personal information under our control.
For example, if you make an order, your payment information is collected by our carefully selected third party payment processors (PayPal and Stripe), who are experts in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions.
At your request, we can password protect files before sending them to you via email, with passwords communicated by text message or verbally by telephone.
A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information
Here are some practical steps you can take to restrict the collection or use of your personal information:
Limit the personal information you share: Only share data that you want to share and are comfortable in sharing. However, please note that not sharing requested information may impact the quality of our service.
Audit your publically available information: Conduct an audit to clarify what personal information you are sharing online. If you share information on public forums e.g. Facebook and LinkedIn, this may be visible to others, unless you lock down your privacy. If, for example, you connect with a member of our staff on LinkedIn, this may be visible to other members of your network, or to other users of the site.
Opt out of electronic communications: We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone, post, or text message unless you have given your prior consent. If you give consent, then we may email you from time to time offering further information about our products and services. If you change your mind about receiving these communications, you can unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link on our emails or by emailing email@example.com with the heading Unsubscribe.
If you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, Giraffe CVs reserve the right to contact you about your orders and to share policy updates. You will continue to receive essential account-relevant information.
Cookies: Set your browser to reject cookies.
How to access your personal information as held by Giraffe CVs
It is your right to access, amend, and update your personal data as held by Giraffe CVs.
- ask for a copy of the information we hold about you
- request that we amend or delete the personal data we hold about you
- revoke your consent to our use of your information for the above listed purposes, accepting this will not entitle you to a refund unless otherwise permitted under our standards terms and conditions
- ask us to stop contacting you for direct marketing purposes
at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Giraffe CVs will acknowledge and respond to your request within 30 days.
Aged 16 or under
Giraffe CVs are committed to protecting the privacy of children aged 16 or under. If you are aged 16 or under‚ please obtain your parent/guardian’s permission before you share your personal information with us.
In the event of a data breach
Giraffe CVs has a sound understanding of the personal data we hold, where it is stored, who can access it, how to identify personal data breaches, and how to report and manage them if they occur.
Data retention policy
This policy details procedures for Giraffe CVs’ retention and disposal of records and information, and relates to both hard- and soft-copy documents.
Records are defined as all those documents which facilitate the business carried out by Giraffe CVs and which are then retained (for a set period) to provide evidence of its transactions and/or activities. These records may be created, received or maintained in hard copy or electronically.
Relationship with other policies
Giraffe CVs will retain records of transactions for seven years following completion of services. Following this period, at the end of the financial year, files will be securely deleted or disposed of.
Information, including personal data, that you provide will only be retained for two years following your order, unless otherwise instructed by you.
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis.
Safe disposal of records
Records identified for destruction will be permanently disposed of in accordance with reasonable processes.
In the event of business closure, only transaction records will be stored for the defined retention period, then disposed of as outlined above.